Re: [OM] Speaking of grease

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of grease
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:11:44 -0500
On 09-Nov-20, at 9:11 AM, Ralf Loi wrote:

> All this talk about oily blades reminded me that I have a 85/2.0 and a
> 300/4.5 with a veeeery smooth focus mechanism. Too smooth, in fact.
> I probably need to clean the old grease and to reapply new one.
> The problem is that I don't know what is the right lubricant to use, so
> I'm asking advice, with a preference to a product that I can buy here in
> Europe.

I've found the Nye damping greases to be excellent and hold up well over time.
They're specifically designed for fine motion control applications such as
lenses and dials.  The one I prefer is the very light weight Nyogel 774VL, it
seems to work best with lenses.  Micro-Tools seems to carry some Nye greases:

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=744

but I'm not sure what weight they are.  You could also order the full sample
set from:

http://www.lubekits.com/index.php?load=grease

and experiment with them to see which weight you like best.
                                -mark