Re: [OM] Flash foul-up, what happened?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash foul-up, what happened?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 17:59:04 -0400
See your OM-2 manual.  If you have a T-flash mounted the camera senses
it and automatically sets X sync regardless of the switch setting.  If
you don't have a T-flash mounted you're responsible to set the sync to
FP or X yourself.

Flash bulbs used to be sold in different types.  FP was the type to be
used on cameras that had focal plane shutters.  The characteristic of an
FP bulb was a long burn time.  Since the bulb puts out light
continuously the bulb is able to sync the full range from 1/60 to
1/1000.  But the manual says not longer than 1/60.  1/60, of course, is
the max for OM cameras on X sync.  But I don't know if you'd get proper
sync for both regardless of sync setting at 1/60.  I think not.  I
suspect the bulb on FP would get lit as soon as the first shutter
curtain started to open.  But that would be a disaster for an X sync
electronic flash.  It would have dumped it's charge completely before
the first curtain got off the starting gate.  That's probably what
happened to you.

I've never done it myself but I can recall someone on this list from
many years ago describing some way to lock the sync switch on to X.  It
may have been a tiny dab of contact cement which would be easily
removable if desired.  I just went to take a look at my OM-1's sync
switch to check how it might be done and was a bit startled to find it
setting on FP.  Ooops!

Chuck Norcutt