Re: [OM] Foveon update

Subject: Re: [OM] Foveon update
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 21:13:43 -0800
On 2/5/2011 4:49 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> An interesting article and one I had not seen before.  There is similar
> information on Wiki regarding Foveon sensors but not the detail regarding
> losses in the Bayer sensor due to anti-aliasing, color and principally
> relatively pure red.  However, what I just saw would be very unlikely to
> cause me to change horses.

Once you get out of the area of sensor performance alone, the SD14 isn't really
competitive with the 5D for most uses.
If one is contemplating a new camera, contemporary APS sensor DSLRs from the
major players have upped the resolution
ante a great deal.

For someone like you or me, with EF mount lenses, a 60D costs about the same as
an SD15 and will in other areas of
performance (and dual control wheels).

The 5D has about 1.5 times the number of format adjusted sensor sites/mm as the
SD14, the 7D/60D are 1.8x and the 5D II,
2x. At some point, sheer sensor pitch resolution will beat the SD14-15. At 2x,
the 5D II has all four RGGB sensors in
the space (format adjusted) of one SD14 sensor.

With the SD1, though, Sigma comes right back with the 60D and near the 5D II.
Then, instead of having 60% the sensor
site density, the SD1 has 85% of that of the 5D II. So if the SD14-5D
comparison holds, it may handily out resolve the
5d II in color work.

Of course, by the time the SD1 is actually out, there may be a 5D III. :-)

A. Calculating Moose