Re: [OM] I think that I might have hit on a "Fang" this morning

Subject: Re: [OM] I think that I might have hit on a "Fang" this morning
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:24:31 -0400
Private sales between individuals are a distinct category, I think. Honesty
should be paramount.

Flea markets are something else entirely. They are bazaars, where wheeling,
dealing and trash talking is expected, and part of the fun. When I was hunting
fountain pens, I had a set of rules I played by. Little old ladies who called
me to come look at mamma's old pens generally received either no offer, or as
much, even more, than the pens were worth. I rarely made any money on those
kinds of sales, but the sellers knew their family "heirlooms" were going to
someone who knew how to find them a good home.

With flea markets and antique stores, I asked no quarter and gave none. It is
incumbent upon seller and buyer to know what they are talking about and what
it's potential worth might be. I never misled anyone by saying "This is a
worthless old piece of trash you'll never get $5 for," but I then never told a
seller I was going to repair the pen and sell it for $300 on eBay, either.
About the only thing I did when I came upon a really nice pen at a ridiculously
low price was pay the seller what he was asking.

Buyer and Seller Be Wary!

--Bob