Re: [OM] IMG: More Experimental Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Experimental Images
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:19:26 -0500
Jim, I've been thinking a little about your situation with the E-1.
One thing I've discovered recently (last week or two), is that some
lenses just don't balance right on the E-1 and the action of pressing
the shutter-release is enough to induce movement in the rig. Much of
your blurring problem is actually motion-blur. But due to the masking
nature of the E-1's sensor, you are being misled into thinking it is
something else.

My L1 is better with some lenses, worse with other lenses in this
regard. Problem with that camera is the shutter-release has a notchy
detent, instead of the smooth plunge.

On Saturday, I shot about 750 pictures of pelicans here in Iowa. About
half were with the E-1, half with the L1. 2/3 were with the monopod,
1/3 were with my shoulder-stock. Almost all were with the Tokina AT-X
100-300/4 zoom.

My biggest problem, which ruined the majority of the shots, was motion
blur. Pilot-error. Focusing wasn't much a problem as I just nailed it
down to F8 and upped the ISO to give me a pretty fast shutter-speed.
But the wind was honkin' along at 35-43 MPH. When those gusts hit, the
monopod would buzz. What I began to realize was the monopod was
vibrating so much that it was affecting the images. So, I switched
over to my shoulder-stock thingy and let my body be the stabilizing
force--I'd sway, but not vibrate in the wind.

AG