Re: [OM] How various 50mm lenses render images

Subject: Re: [OM] How various 50mm lenses render images
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:07:51 -0400
I had promised to take a good look at your tests when I got back home
from my trip and had a better monitor and image viewing tools.  But now
that I'm back and have taken a closer look at some of the images and the
test conditions I'm afraid I have to disavow my offer.

The first thing I noted was very significant exposure differences
between some of the images.  I couldn't imagine how that could be unless
some of the lenses weren't actually closed to the specified aperture.
But then I noticed you were shooting in aperture priority mode.  That's
a decision I just don't understand when you supposedly have a fixed
scene with fixed lighting.  To me that demands a fixed, manually
controlled exposure.  I suppose it might be part of your criteria to see
if a lens delivers proper exposure on your E-P1 in that mode but I don't
consider it a test of the imaging capability of the lens.
The next problem was resizing for the web.  I had assumed that all of
the images would be available in full size or nearly so.  I'm not at all
comfortable that a 450x600 image (where each pixel is an average of 45
of its neighbors) begins to tell the whole story.  I suppose the small
images are OK for a gross comparison but if two images appear similar
then a larger and perhaps full size image might be required to break the
tie.

Finally, I had hoped to do side-by-side comparisons using comparison
viewing software but, with only one image per page, loading the images
to my own machine for comparison would be just too tedious.

I thought you had a very interesting idea and liked the test rig.  But I
don't think I can reliably compare anything without a great deal of work
and, given the image size and exposure problems, I'm not sure whether my
judgments would be valid.

Chuck Norcutt