Re: [OM] [IMG] My sister's wedding

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMG] My sister's wedding
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:09:24 -0700
On 6/4/2011 4:30 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The A55 is an interesting choice.  I was a bit surprised to see that
> (unlike the Pentax) there is a wide choice of Tamron lenses in Alpha
> mount.  Both Pentax and Sony offer in-body IS in APS-C format but for
> some reason Tamron only appears to be producing for the Alpha mount.
> Perhaps that's because they were producing for Minolta before Sony came
> on the scene.  But Pentax AF has been around a long time too.

Seems to me that there may be two things at work here.

Tamron appears not to be offering their VC (IS) lenses in mounts for bodies
with in-body IS, Sony and Pentax. So the new
18-270 with improved VC isn't offered, but the older, non VC, 18-250 is.
Although one of the other IS could be turned
off, Tamron may feel that the potential for dissatisfaction from those who
don't get that, and/or the limited market
potential make those niches impractical.

I have also read a few times, most recently, if memory serves, in a dpreview
lens review, that those several Pentax
lenses that have essentially identical specs to Tamrons, but different external
appearance, are made by Tamron.

Co-incidentally, the Tamron equivalents are not available in Pentax mount.
Tamron lenses that don't overlap that way are
available in Pentax mount. I haven't researched this with any effort, as it
doesn't impact me, but the above is what
I've picked up through web browsing osmosis.

Moose