Re: [OM] Was: mount mod; Now M42-to-4/3 Adapter Thickness

Subject: Re: [OM] Was: mount mod; Now M42-to-4/3 Adapter Thickness
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:01:06 -0700

> I think my statement caused some confusion.  It was poorly crafted, to say
> the least.
>
> The lens that I referred to is a Leica-R Summicron 50/2, and must use a
> Leica-R to 4/3 adapter, so it won't work with the M42 adapter.  What I
found
> with this lens is that the most distant object I can find comes into focus
> before the focusing index reaches the infinity mark.  I have to back off
> from the infinity stop to get it in focus.  This is the lens I used to see
> what an "infinity" image would resolve with my camera.
>
> I compared the previous image, made with a Pentax Takumar 55/1.8 lens and
my
> M42 adapter, to the Summicron image, and, at a distance, I find little
> difference.  As Chuck pointed out, it appears that the earlier image was
> made at a smaller aperture, because the foreground was sharper.

    Okay, now I better understand.  To rephrase what I stated earlier, I'll
have to keep in mind to open up the aperture fully so as to reduce the depth
of field when doing the focusing test later.  That adapter is on a slow boat
from Calcutta, so it's going to take a couple of weeks before it arrives.

Chris