[OM] Really (OT) Question, But Photography Related

Subject: [OM] Really (OT) Question, But Photography Related
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:02:33 -0400
So, today was Opening Day at Whitmire Gallery. No fanfare. No ads. Just an OPEN
flag flapping in the breeze.

As I'm hanging out the flag, a vehicle turns into the drive. Nice couple,
roughly my age. They wait for me to finish with the flags and we all go inside.
(The gallery is air conditioned, unlike Maine today, which most assuredly
wasn't, unless you were right beside the water. Or better yet, out on it.)

They gush about seeing my prints at another venue, and bring up several
specific images. I show them those images in the larger sizes I stock in the
gallery. They comment on clarity and sharpness and composition and such. Don't
wish to sound conceited, but I hear this a lot from visitors to the gallery. I
mean they must like my stuff or they wouldn't come, right?

So, anyway, they give off a buyer vibe. The specificity of their likes and
dislikes surprises me. I'm not used to that. I have the prints they profess to
adore. But first, we must talk about photography. I am grilled, as sometimes
happens, about how I do all of this. Equipment, software, etc. The male half of
the duo is a professed "rank amateur." He wants recommendations about specific
equipment, etc. Software, too. Even computer system.

Then they decide they must think about actually buying the prints. They aren't
quite sure about placement, etc. They promise to stop in next year.

Next year?

So, maybe it's ego, but this scenario has played out enough that I'm beginning
to think I'm being used. They left with no prints but a good couple hundred
dollars worth of information. I don't mind sharing, but I'm beginning to think
I'm not sharing, I'm being drained. I'm not getting anything back. I've had a
few real pros visit, people with recognizable names, and they aren't like that
at all. We talk shooter stuff, and it's give and take. With folks such as those
in the shop today, it was all take and no give.

I'm thinking about adding the 4 C's to my resume and rack card: Consultation,
Coaching, Critique and Commiseration. Maybe it's just part of the price you pay
to get pumped like that, but I know my friend John Paul Caponigro charges $250
an hour for that kind of talk. I would not dream to charge that much, but I'm
thinking that a few general answers plus a gentle reminder that I have other
services than just prints might be in order. If nothing else, it might clear
the deadwood out of the gallery.

What thinks the group?

--Bob