Re: [OM] OM Windex

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Windex
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:42:03 -0700
On 8/15/2012 11:50 AM, Charles Geilfuss wrote:
> Eyeglasses are a different matter entirely. The UV, anti-glare
> coatings are very sensitive to ammonia compounds (made that mistake
> once), so forget about Windex there. I have a commercial eyeglass
> cleaner that is safe but doesn't clean worth a damn. Warm water and
> bar soap is fine.

I have rather new eyeglasses with AR/UV/etc. coatings. I was using a little
liquid hand soap thinned with water to clean
them at first, as seldom as possible. But I started noticing that the
astonishing hydrophobic quality of the top coating
was weakening.

Taking that as a warning sign of coating damage, I've switched to a cleaner
specifically labeled for AR coated
eyeglasses. It cleans fine. Perhaps you need a different brand? Mine is house
branded, so I don't know who makes it.

Clear View Moose