Re: [OM] OM to EOS adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to EOS adapters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:04:13 -0700
On 10/24/2012 1:51 PM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> Regarding setting focal length. I had the brilliant idea to put 3580mm in
> the chip, to be used with, you guessed it, my 35-80mm. It would be easy to
> set these pictures apart...

On Canon, I believe the light metering relies on knowing the focal length
and/or aperture for accurate readings. With a
simple adapter, getting correct exposure with my 600/8 lens required setting
manual exposure for about -3 stops, then
checking the histogram to fine tune. With the EMF adapter telling the camera
focal length and aperture, AE works fine a
huge improvement.

I know you can fake it by a stop. The body thinks it can't reliably focus with
a lens slower than f5.6. So I set my
adapter for the 600/8 to tell the body f5.6, so AF confirmation will work (and
it does, on my 5D and 60D). Just set f8
on the body, and exposure is correct.

I don't know if focal length setting it makes any difference to the AF.

Properly Exposed Moose