Re: [OM] Film holders for Chromega 4x5

Subject: Re: [OM] Film holders for Chromega 4x5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 15:58:49 -0800
On 1/3/2013 2:07 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Well...
>
> I've got the big honkin enlarger in the house. ...
>
> On a totally related note, I've looked at the base mount for the
> column. It looks like I can adapt it to a horizontal surface, but I
> have the wall-mount adaptor. I'm thinking that it might be better for
> me to bolt it do the wall. Any input on this is welcome.

The big question is whether there is vibration in the house frame. Umpteen
years ago, I had a custom camera made. They
used a bed for a process camera, slightly modified for the different mounting,
which normally sits on the floor. In this
case, it was hung from the ceiling at the back end and supported from the floor
on the business end by a steel frame
that held the copy board(s). A custom frame was made to hang a Durst enlarger
head from the 'bed' to act as 4x5 camera.

In a much smaller darkroom next door to the camera room, we had a Merz
processor for the special film and sink with fume
hood for chemical prep and cleaning. The vast majority of the work was making
4x5 transparencies for custom viewers.We
did have an Omega 4x5 enlarger and four foot wide stabilization processor for
the occasional other work.

The building was an old warehouse, with 15", reinforced concrete floors. Even
with rubber dampers on both ends of the
camera mounts, and tuning them with different pressures, materials, we
sometimes had problems with vibration that would
show up in the 'slides'. The viewer had three magnifications and a 6x7', rear
projection screen.

When you are blowing up an image 70x or so onto a screen one may walk right up
to, even tiny vibrations become visible.
For some time, my photographer had to work around the schedule of a piece of
equipment on another floor. You wouldn't
believe the resolution we got on that film.

All in aid of suggesting putting a glass of water against the wall and watching
for ripples. And the floor. If the wall
vibrates and a slab floor does not, mount on something sitting on the floor and
not touching the wall.

> Otherwise, I could make a rolling base made out of steel and bolt it to that.

Personally, I wouldn't bolt it to anything until I was sure it didn't need an
isolation pad underneath.

Good Vibes Moose