Re: [OM] Zone-10 stats (now wildly OT into computer history)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zone-10 stats (now wildly OT into computer history)
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:45:19 -0600
On 1/12/13 18:43 : , Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Where you're inaccurate:
> "IBM originally created it [OS/2] to compete with Microsoft.."
>
> So, why did Microsoft *suddenly* bail out of OS/2 to go their own way
> with Windows?  My boss always said that it was the contract which
> specified that each of us had to pay the other royalties on every copy
> we sold.  According to him that contract clause always grated on Bill
> Gates as he hated to pay us royalties... probably because they sold more
> copies than us.  But we also did most of the work.  For OS/2 Microsoft
> said they could help us out by committing to do 60% of the total
> development work.  In fact they never met that committment.  They did
> about 40% and IBM had to make up the slack.
>
> Actually, I'm surprised that IBM never sued them since Microsoft
> abruptly broke their development contract with IBM when they pulled out.
>    But it's all water over the dam today.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Thanks, Chuck.  Nice to get it from the inside.

It's been years since I read most of it.  I got some of the anecdotes
from Bob Cringely's "Triumph Of The Nerds", and some of that included
interviews with Ballmer and others.  But I would expect them to be
biased towards the Microsoft side.

I do seem to remember that the PC project was viewed with disdain from a
lot of the old guard at IBM, guys who used service contracts on big iron
to generate a substantial percentage of their revenue. IIRC, a small,
personal computer made with more or less off-the-shelf parts scared the
mainframe side of the house who could see how it could erode that
service business.  Although, if I understand things properly, a big
portion of their revenue today still comes from service and consulting,
be it mainframes or data centers full of IBM servers.

I do remember a couple of attempts by IBM to regain control of the PC
hardware market - PS/2 was, I believe, one of them. Microchannel was
another.  They didn't like that they didn't control the ISA standard for
expansion slots, so they created MCA as a proprietary standard that they
could license out.  However, as I rememeber, MCA was a PITA since the
driver architecture was pretty strict.  I know the couple of MCA pc's I
was responsible for made me very nervous (both were NCR clones).  If
anything happened to the floppy drive for that specific card, the chance
of me getting a replacement were slim and I'd be stuck with a boat
anchor.  I also seem to remember that the driver installation routines
were fairly convoluted, but that was also over 20 years ago.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard