Re: [OM] Confession, and a little confusion [was Panny 20mm/1.7 DOF]

Subject: Re: [OM] Confession, and a little confusion [was Panny 20mm/1.7 DOF]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:50:59 -0800
On 1/22/2013 4:57 AM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> If you want to see some example of the banding: <
> http://wijsmuller.eu/picture.php?/219/category/10>.

Well, that's pretty obvious, all right.

> This picture is @ iso 6400, but it was there @ 3200 as well.
>
> It is not always the same in terms of the amount of bands and their form/
> width. I've read somewhere on dpreview that the problem would be less
> visible in the last picture of a series (suggesting that you should make a
> couple of pictures at all times), but I've not done extensive testing.
>
> Mind you, this was not with the current firmware (1.5), which lessened the
> problem considerable (but did not solve it). The problem is also mentioned
> in the GH3 manual fwiw. But @ 3200 the banding is reduced, in my (limited)
> experience.

I have camera firmware 1.5 and lens 1.1. The first shot I took with the lens
was just of our front yard by the light of
a nearby streetlamp.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous&image=_1224198.jpg>
No banding that I can see. Well, IF I crank brightness way up, and view at
100%, I might be able to convince myself
there is a tiny bit in the deepest shadows. But that doesn't matter.

So, being an optimist, I'll assume no problem unless I run into it in the
course of normal use. :-)

Smoooooth Moose