Re: [OM] (OT) Humerous

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Humerous
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:57:56 -0700
On 4/18/2013 11:28 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> I tried traveling for the first time without a computer when I went to
> Spain.  I thought several 32 GB cards would be sufficient.  I really
> regretted that decision!  I couldn't download and check the photos at the
> end of the day like I usually do.  Several of the 32 GB cards had problems
> so I had to resort to my older 8GB ones.  I could check e-mail on my Kindle
> but I couldn't post any photos to share.  I will not do that again.  If
> nothing else, I would get a tiny Acer netbook computer and take it along.

Exactly what I've done for years. My little Acer 11.6" 1410 with 'real' dual
core processor, 4 GB of RAM and full size
key spacing won't ever compete with the desktops, but will run PS6, 32 or 64
bit.

> You can download photos on it, install LR to work on the photos

It's a real, full function computer.

On 4/18/2013 11:58 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Thanks! I think His Mooseness has one of those Acers. I have been impressed
> with the quality and fidelity of color images shown thereupon. The Krappy
> Kolor Laptop it ain't.

The screen isn't perfect, but pretty good, WB is only a little cool, compared
to my calibrated desktop monitor. Hmmm, I
suppose I might be able to calibrate it. But as Bob says, it looks quite good.

So I can do a decent quick review of the day's shooting and see if anything has
started to go wonky (Even if, as with
shutter shock, I don't yet know what it is, let alone what to do about it.)

> , do e-mail easier than on a Kindle and hook up an external storage device
> like the
> little Seagate Free Agent Go which is smaller than a deck of cards but holds
> 320 GB.

Yup! Mine happens to be a WD 320 GB that I picked up at a Wal-Mart in Maine
when the HD got too full. Now I keep it in a
separate place in luggage/vehicle from the camera gear. I think they go up to a
TB now.

> I have a little Acer that I will take next time I don't want to carry the big
> laptop.

A good tablet might be ideal. The iPad has a first rate display, and does
everything I need - except for storage
limitations. But I'll save that for AG's Android post.

What the iPad DOES do is provide a local hot-spot for internet access on the
netbook when there is a good cell data
connection, but no wi-fi.

I guess what I'm saying is that the netbook+ has been an ideal solution to
date, but there may be something better now.

Travelin' Moose