Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:59:37 -0500
At 2/24/2014 01:46 PM, Paul wrote:

>My problem with NAS (and I could easily build one using FreeNAS and an
>inexpensive tower) is that the online backup services like Carbonite and
>Backblaze won't back up a NAS share (makes sense - those services are
>licensed per computer, and a NAS share could be 15 computers in one house).
>
>So, I'm going with a RAID5 box attached with Firewire800 which will provide
>some redunancy and will be backed up with Backblaze.

What about Amazon? They just charge for the storage used.

I finally created my own backup, after following my sons lead. It has grown
from 4 drives to now include an LSI SAS controller and 9 WD Red 3Tb drives in
Raid 6 on a Debian server (21Tb total). It can hold a lot of photos and
backups. Raid 5 felt too weak. My son has been having a lot of failures, some
due to the Sata cables, and now possibly a failing controller. I have had mixed
results with Sata cables over the years.

LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0
newegg: $223
2 SAS connectors
newegg: 2x $27
$277

Seems expensive, but compared to the cost of the disks, not too bad. I don't
trust the sata controllers on motherboards or cheaper cards, too many have
overheated and failed, and/or destroyed drives.

This controller just plugs in and works, no drivers required. You could use its
raid capability, however, I prefer the linux fake raid as the disks can easily
be moved to another machine and another controller and linux will just find it.
Adding a new drive sometimes takes several days to rebuild. I have had no
failures with the WD Red for over a year of operation.

Adding truecrypt to some of the folders for the sensitive stuff.

Don't ask me about house cleaning on 21Tb, it's worse than my office.

Wayne S