[OM] OT: Weather

Subject: [OM] OT: Weather
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:25:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Most, if not all of you living in the Midwest and New England have had it
up to here with winter weather, but it's not over yet.  The last two storm
systems that affected us here in the southwest were fairly minor, resulting in
overcast skies, wind, and a few light showers.  Both of these storms were
depicted early in the GFS charts as being fairly strong, but they dissipated
and were not considered to be serious.

     This weekend may be quite different.  The GFS charts show that a late
season teardrop low will beging forming on Friday, while two other low pressure
systems will be affecting New England and the northern plains.  This system
will form rapidly into a tight storm off the southern California coast and will
make landfall late Friday night into Saturday.  The centre of the low will pass
over central Arizona on Sunday and into New Mexico on Monday.

     Upper altitude winds along the southern to western margin are high,
approaching 100kts.  We are likely to see some rain activity on Saturday.

     This storm system is not typical for this time of year, instead being
something we would normally see in the January to March timeframe.  But, the
PDO that affected winter weather across North America kept that from occurring
earlier.

     There may be serious weather for the southern plains and midwest beginning
late Sunday when this system presses against a strong ridge of high pressure
that will develop over the Mississippi Valley over the weekend.

     In addition, a serious late season nor'easter will develop over New
England starting late Thursday.  It will prevail over the region until at least
Monday.  Expect to see snow.  I cannot tell at this time if the low pressure
system affecting the southwest this weekend will manifest itself into an
additional nor'easter late next week.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson