Re: [OM] Risking the Wrath

Subject: Re: [OM] Risking the Wrath
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 09:10:31 -0600
Moose, Bob:

I really do appreciate your input.

I've been experimenting with OTT (over the top) processing right now
to stretch my vision a bit. It's good to push the limits to get out of
my box, but will back things down after I determine a more acceptable
point of being.

The reality is that most of these OTT images really are too weak to
stand on their own if I don't go cranking the sliders to 100%. That's
the problem I have with so many overcooked images from others. Take
away the Clarity and Vibrance sliders from the photographer, and the
image is a tosser.

At this point, these particular images are "proof of concept" images.
The dock photo is a good example of this. I was really excited about
it and thought that it might make a good wall print. But after a few
days, I'm already bored with it. The latest overcooked sunset shot
with the Thomas Kinkade tonalities is something that might work, but I
do agree that the foreground probably needs to be backed off a quarter
of a stop and the purple haze in the upper left/right corners fixed.
Yet, that's a shot that would kick-rump on a gallery wall, but without
a bit of discipline, would keep me up at night from the volume level.

I love my teenagers, but there comes a point in the evening where they
need to turn the music down and settle in for the night.

Same with pictures. I love some of these OTT images, but they don't
let you sleep.

AG