Re: [OM] Two down - Who said it was easy money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Two down - Who said it was easy money?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 16:59:57 -0500
> I don't see that that's any different than what I normally do using
> BreezeBrowser Pro or even (freebie) FastStone viewer.

Probably not. If the ONLY thing you use LR for is sorting, then it is
a fool's errand. However, the processing and editing capabilities
which are built in are what makes LR stand out. There is no raw
conversion until output. You are always working in a dynamic image
editing environment which RARELY, if ever, requires you to even open
up Photoshop.

If you are married to your beloved Photoshop and choose to waste time
opening, converting, editing and saving files on a one-by-one basis,
stick with what you have. For both of these weddings, I seriously
doubt that I will have to use Photoshop or Picture Window Pro for ANY
pictures. I can do all of my editing and special treatment right
there. And it's a whole lot faster than Photoshop too. Just a simple
sharpening adjustment is instant. No hourglasses.

So, no, basic sorting? Frankly Olympus Studio is as good as LR. LR is
not as fast as the other sorters, but sings through centralized
integration.

I remember the days of DOS when we had word processors, spreadsheets,
image editing programs and databases all as separate stand-alone
programs. Microsoft combined all that into "Office" and changed the
face of computing. The ability to not just link, but imbed (and edit)
spreadsheets in word docs, and so forth revolutionized the desktop.
Apple did the same thing with cell phones with the iPhone. Adobe has
effectively done this with Lightroom.

Chuck, what you are doing is picking out only one very specific subset
of functionality and judging the worth of the program based on only
that one subset of functionality while ignoring all of the other
benefits of the program.

In the first wedding, the bride has a mole on her forehead. I didn't
remove it in the proofs, but may for an album and enlargements. In
experimenting with the spot healing tool, I can fix it in about five
seconds per image. With about 100 images that need touching up, that's
10 minutes work for everything. If I were to do the same in Photoshop,
at best I could do three images in 10 minutes because of the raw
conversion, edit and save process.

Best of all? No need to work with layers. Die, layers, die!!!

AG Schnozz