Re: [OM] 2016 - Few Fotos For Fun

Subject: Re: [OM] 2016 - Few Fotos For Fun
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:21:35 -0400

On 4/27/2016 12:49 PM, ChrisB wrote:
No, it’s the wind turbines that go into standby, for just that
reason.  The grid pays the operators to stop their turbines during
time of low usage.

Sounds to me like you must have those mythical turbines which continue spinning when the wind doesn't blow. The typical wind farm only produces at 1/3 of its capacity but can, at times, overproduce. But it will always be thus for energy sources outside man's control.

Assuming that that EIA table is representative of real life, it looks
like offshore is pretty pricey, but does the nuclear capital cost
include the decommissioning?  And where do we put the waste?

I'm sure it doesn't include the decommissioning just as the solar and wind numbers in the table don't include the very high US government subsidies. I do not propose creating any new nuclear facilities such as we have now (originally designed primarily to produce plutonium for weapons) but there are far better nuclear solutions.

With regard to conventional generation, we are running out of the
stuff to fuel it, Chuck.

By some estimates the UK has large deposits of shale gas but you haven't drilled enough exploratory wells to be certain.

Yes, we need batteries.

We all need super batteries... but they don't appear to be anywhere on the horizon. Best to plan around that which you don't and likely won't have any time soon.

Chuck Norcutt

Chris

On 27 Apr 2016, at 12:52, Chuck Norcutt