Re: [OM] Pretty tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] Pretty tripod
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 06:36:24 -0700
At 5/24/2019 12:26 AM, Moose wrote:
>On 5/23/2019 9:46 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>The quick to deploy is great for a level surface, but most of the time I use
>>mine for macro, I'm close to the ground, on uneven ground, have to let one
>>leg stick way out with the other legs at odd heights, avoiding weeds, not
>>disturbing the subject, .... Often the subject is in a bush, other things
>>around, you can't just pop the legs out and set it down. With the Gitzo I can
>>loosen one section with just enough friction to adjust and stay there before
>>I tighten it all down. Very rare do I just extend the legs all the way and
>>take a shot, unless it is a group portrait with me in it.
>>
>>Hence most of my tripod work is macro, requiring focus stacking and odd
>>positions. For example, you cannot see what I had to do to get the tripod in
>>the correct position, but I doubt I could do with the PD.
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/y3gzbtj9
>
>Nice!
>
>For me, this would be a no tripod shot. Combined OIS and IBIS working
>together, the camera does the stacking very quickly and the PS or other
>stacking software aligns the slightly moved frames before blending.
>
>I used to do a lot of tripod for macro work; now hardly any, well, basically
>none. I do use the macro stand on my desk.
>
>Two Leg Moose

I tried handheld, but I could not easily get this shot angle as my knees would
be well spiked. I have done a lot of handheld stacking but when my posture is
shaky, the focus point is wobbling back and forth.

This was a stack of 3. In Photoshop I am having a terrible time stacking with
cactus spines. The cactus spines that are not in the plane of focus often get a
fuzzy tip. A lot of post editing of the stacking masks to fix up. To the point
I have started considering alternatives.

 From what I have read online, helicon is considered one of the better ones.

Again, many of my stacks are handheld, but often I'm not steady or agile
enough. Tripod can be helpful, when the angle required is a difficult position
to hold, or I don't want to be smashing the environment and the subject.

In a workshop long ago with Rod Plank, shooting film, one of the take away's
was to compose the shot first, then bring the tripod to the camera. Too often
there is a tendency to compose with camera on the tripod. The result of the
first vs the latter was for me, dramatic. Now with higher ISO digital cameras,
we can often just take the shot without the tripod.

Again, bringing the tripod to the camera means the legs are in all sorts of
orientations that my Gitzo accommodates. Looking more closely at the PD pod,
the top of the legs looks like it supports multiple leg angles. And maybe I
missed some of the other shots showing low orientation. These are all plusses.
There is the option of a universal head allowing one to use there own ballhead.
So this is looking more attractive the more I look. The kickstarter price $479
vs final $599 is an incentive. And the pledge amount is already up
significantly from when I last looked.

I have also struggled getting the Gitzo on/in a backpack, more often than not,
left behind.

Anyone on the list planning to get one? The minuses are getting smaller and my
GAS-oholism is creeping in.

Currently one legged WayneS