[OM] New lens in the harem

Subject: [OM] New lens in the harem
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:50:48 -0800
With the Alaska PFD firmly deposited in the bank account, I ventured
down to the "toy store" to see what I could spend a few dollars on.
I'm really wanting one of those Pana/Leica 15/1.7 lenses, but the
current prices are beyond what I want to spend on this system. My
flinch point is about half of current asking prices.

However, they did have a great deal on 25/1.7 lenses, so I picked up a
brand new one for $99 USD. No sales tax. Just parking meter which cost
me $1.70 USD.

I like this lens. While the "normal" focal length isn't my favorite,
and it is no substitute for having a wider lens, it has really nice
bokeh and is quite sharp at almost all apertures. Totally open seems
to lack that edginess, but it's not bad. And it feels really good on
the GX85.  Well balanced.

For those wondering what a "PFD" is, it's the "Permanent Fund
Distribution". In Alaska, you don't actually own your own property,
you own the "right to use" the surface. Everything below the surface
is owned by the state. The revenues from oil, gold, and other things,
is shared between the state and the residents. This year, that share
is $1606 per person. Lots of restrictions, of course, to make sure the
system isn't gamed. It helps defray the cost of living in Alaska. We
don't have state income tax or sales tax either.

We just have to put up with 18 months of winter every year.

AK Schnozz