Re: [OM] Olympus Zuiko 35-105mm Zoom Quality

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Zuiko 35-105mm Zoom Quality
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 23:55:06 -0800

Ed <EdMall@xxxxxxx> responded:

>> You did NOT see that.  You saw, "I belive" and "I think." This lens
>>  is in my 1984 "The OM System Lens Handbook" as a part of the Zuiko
>> system.  I think and  believe that there are some irresponsible rumour
>> mongers on this group that should check their facts before posting.
>> This is a very fine lens.

Shawn Wright commented:

>You are correct to point out that the Tokina rumour is not fact (and,
>btw, the Kyocera rumour seems to be nearly as plausible...) as
>this poster read into it.  But rumour mongers??!?  Naw...

As the promoter/defender of the Kyocera "conspiracy theory", I feel
compelled to provide some evidence.  So, I grabbed my Yashica lens
catalog and scanned in the 35-105mm Yashica ML lens page.

Since it's a 67KB file, I'll refrain from enclosing it to this post :-).
Instead, I'll send the JPG file to Shawn Wright. He can either put it
up on the OLY list web site, or place it in zuiko.sls.bc.ca server's
anonymous ftp (/pub) directory, so everyone who cares can view/download
the Yashica ML zoom page and compare it with the Zuiko. Note that the
small differences in length and rear elements design are due to the
different flange to back distances in Y/C and OM mounts.

In general, IMHO it'd be useful to have a public "clipboard" for the
OLY list, so when an ongoing discussion requires visual aids, they
can be placed in a well-known, pre-determined, easily accessible
public space.  Just a thought...

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA