Re: [OM] New OM Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Cameras
From: Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:28:25 +0800 (WST)
> John,
>
> Looks like we're approaching our photography from the same place. There
> will always be a certain number of amateurs who like to do their own
> exposures, experiment with different types of film/lenses/lighting etc.
>
> Steve

I don't see automation on photography as a bad thing. 20-30 years ago,
those who wanted to take pictures for memorabilia as opposed for those
who would take pictures for creativity (ok, I'll not forget
photo-journalists too) had limited range. I look at these newer fancy
SLR's cater for those who want to capture moments but with the higher
chance of better quality than the standard P&S cameras. A perfect example
of this is the Nikon F5. I don't see such cameras as a tool for creating
artistic pictures. Sure the F5 has all the whizz-bang features but with
the auto-focus, auto-program at different modes, it's not so much of the
photographer looking at a scene and decide what he/she wants to do with
it but more like the camera computer wants to do with the scene. It's
great for the sport photographer who wants something fast and accurate.

I feel that manual cameras though are more for photographers who want
to create an artistic photograph - correct me if I'm wrong but manual
cameras require more talent to obtain "perfect" pictures?? Sure the
modern SLR can do manual too but all the whizz-bang isn't necessary.

My family has 10-11 cameras in the house ranging from a Nikonos III to
some Russian panoramic camera. I personally use 4-5 of them. I've got
the OM-1 for my astrophotography, OM-4Ti for my "creative" photography,
EOS-RT for a more sophisticated P & S camera, and a Pentax Espio 140 as
a genuine el-cheapo lightweight holiday camera (where quality doesn't
matter too much).

Each has its place.

Sean
--