Re: [OM] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Split the list

Subject: Re: [OM] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Split the list
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 09:28:49 -0600
Cc: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
On Sun, 01 Nov 1998 10:04:32 GMT Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
writes:
>Maybe you remember me being sceptical about commercial and other for
>sale advertisements on the mailing list.........................
>I wonder if it might be feasible to split the list in another way than
>earlier proposed - one part containing all marketplace postings (FS,
>WTB and trade ads, questions about priceing etcetera) and another
>being the continuation of the 'old' mailing list, with photographical,
>technical and artistical discussions but leaving out all commercial
>messages.

        I can see it now:  we're having a great technical/artistic
discussion on the merits of the 8mm fisheye and we bring up the next
message and see something like "If anyone wants one of those see the
details in my ad on the OTHER LIST!"  Then that is probably followed by
several posts of "you can't post that on this list!!" and a few more of
"Thats ok, I like to know when someone is selling something."
        So what do we really gain by splitting the list?  Maybe better we
somehow educate posters to TAKE THEIR RESPONSES TO OFFERS OFF LIST. Do
the negotiations by private e-mail.
        It works for me.  ;-)
Daryl Hurley