Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:12:50 +0200
Denton Taylor wrote:

> >>Right now I can't take certain pictures because
> I don't want to throw good money after bad on the necessary
> lens. Regardless of one's feelings towards Nikon and their
> equipment, it is a fact that there is a healthy market in
> Nikon lenses. I suspect anyone paying the AUD $1220 for
> a new Zuiko 100mm f2.8 might take a bath if they ever had
> to exit the OM system. Whereas a 90mm Tamron *macro* lens
> in Nikon AF mount costs less new ($910 in Adaptall, probably
> the same in AF), can probably be found used anyway, and is
> readily saleable - not that Nikon are likely to abandon
> their mount.
> >>

> Wrong again.
>
> Why don't you compare new Zuiko lenses to new Nikon AIS lenses? Yes, in
> both cases you will take a hit. That's called depreciation, and it exists
> for all products.
>
> Used Oly stuff has kept its value, and in many cases, increased in value.
> There's an active market in it.
>
> Regards,
> Denton Taylor

First I'd like to say that the tamron adaptall system works only for non AF
cameras.
So buying one and then upgrading to AF still makes it useless.

Second, I have to disagree with Denton. It is much easier to find Nikon
equipment than OM equipment, and that includes AIS lenses. So, since there is
much more equipment (than demand in many cases) you can find Nikkors at
pretty good prices. They also have the added advantage that they can be used
with modern AF Nikons, in manual focus of course. Depreciation for OM
equipment seems to be much higher, and will most likely IMO become even
higher as the uncertainty of the OMs future becomes stronger and more people
switch brands, "dumping" their OM equipment.
Perhaps the US is the last market that has a healthy OM activity, I am not
sure about that.
The good news????
Well, as more people leave the OM system, we will find better bargains!

--
Regards,
Alexander

http://www.mediadyne.gr/photos