Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 09:50:22 -0800
In a message dated 1/4/2000 "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< I second this recommendation heartily.  The Tok 80-200 f/2.8 is a
fine lens,
quick one-touch design, very bright viewfinder image that's easy to
focus
quickly and heavy.  Worth all effort to find and every penny of price.

Good choice. I think I saw on on keh.com the other day but it was
expensive (and I'm sure worth every penny like John said).

<< Lens speed can not be emphasized enough for sports applications.
Film speed
helps, but at the expense of grain size and softer contrast.  IMHO,
anything
less than f/4 is useless; f/2.8 is extremely helpful, almost a
necessity. >>

I keep hearing this. I also see this trend at the motorsport events I
shoot. (But I also still see a fair number of media credential carrying
shooters with slower lenses, including the man I consider one of the
best ever in motorsports work, Jesse Alexander, just last August at
Monterey Historics.) While I don't really disagree that the biggest and
fastest lenses tend to also be the best optical quality available, I
would not discount slower lenses *if* they offer good optical quality
(Tokina ATX, Tamron SP, Zuikos, etc.). As I have stated, the vast
majority of my work is shot with a Tamron SP 60 - 300. This lens is f5.4
at 300. I also use the Zuiko 200 f4. I shoot Provia 100 at rated ASA.
With the new Provia F (RDP III) I have even less concern about grain.
Editors who publish my work and customers who buy my Ilfochromes all
seem to be very pleased with my results and could care less what I used
to get the images. While I am always striving to improve the quality of
my work, I am not at all convinced that super-fast (and super-expensive)
glass would improve my work all that much, if at all. (Leaving myself
wide open for constructive criticism now...) For years I have emphasized
my efforts on technique and visualization of the images I want to get,
not equipment per say.

For shooting soccer games I think the 60 - 300 range would be about
perfect. However, if price no object, a 80 - 200 f2.8 would be wonderful
and no doubt still excellent with a converter if it ends up not being
long enough.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com