RE: [OM] My thoughts on OM4 Spot meter button

Subject: RE: [OM] My thoughts on OM4 Spot meter button
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:23:48 -0800
Hi Thomas,
I should say I have not used an OM2s.  But, my first 35mm camera was a
Mamiya 1000 DTL way back in the early 70's.  It had a single spot meter in a
little square window and also the standard averaging meter.  So I learned
early how to use a single spot meter.  I traded to the OM1 in 1979.  I
always missed that little square spot meter.
Next came the OM3 and yes I too shoot 98 0n Manual Mode and always with a
winder or MD.

Button Placement;
I fully agree with your complaint on the location of the spot button.
But, I have over years, learned how to reach and find it automatically.
Quite frankly, I never give it a second thought.  It just happens.
I never use the Highlight or Shadow buttons.
If I were to complain about anything, it would be the depth of field preview
button on the lens.  I am ALWAYS fumbling around feeling for it.

Single vs Multi spot:
I probably use spot 750f the time.  It is a rare occasion that I use only
a single spot reading.  I would say 3 to 5 readings is average.  Sometimes
I'll take 3 or 4 readings on medium tones (or what I think is medium) and
take an average or adjust a little lighter or darker.  Sometimes I read the
highlight and dark areas to confirm they will fall within the films 5 stop
range (slides 100%).
But bottom line is, I use Multi Spot more than single and would not want to
be limited to single.

Winders:
I don't think I have ever shot my Oly's without a winder or MD attached.  So
I don't think you are alone with your preference.  I think the OM body feels
naked without a "handle".  I even use a winder on my focusing rails and a
MD1 on my bellows.
BUT, I have had some concerns whether vibration is increased some with a
winder attached in high mag macro work so this may change.
There is one more area I may change my ways regarding winders/mds.  I have
been looking at a "L" shaped bracket made by Kirk and RSS that attaches to
the camera and has a QC plate on both the bottom and side.  This allows one
to turn the camera for portrait without changing the tripod head.  I think
this is a great idea for short lens use.
Anyway, keep playing with the spot meter button, it will become natural
sooner or later.
Hope this helps,
Buddy Walters
Ps, No comments on the OM5 - don't think it will ever happen!