Re: [OM] Other systems

Subject: Re: [OM] Other systems
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:07:08 EST
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
< I think there is more to a camera than just good glass. The sharpest lens in
 the world ain't worth a damn if the nut behind the camera is completely
 unpolished, to ape an old phrase. I got into Olympus via a windfall from a
 friend. He found an OM1MD +50/1.8sc +leather case, all near mint, for about
 20$ from an estate sale. I found I like the way the camera feels in my hand,
 and I love the ergonomics too. To me, it's just langnaippe that the glass is
 good. >>

While dittoing every word that Dirk said (the engineering, the feel, the
size, the quality all make these sooo enjoyable to touch, feel, and actually
use :=)  ) I have to interject that the lenses are indeed a truly admirable
aspect of the system. I have used Pentax, Milnolta, and Canon systems in the
past, and those lenses did not  hold a candle to the clarity and contrast
afforded by by Zuikos. This was made particularly clear when I first obtained
my OM1, and my hub and I would stand side-by-side in Rome, he using the
Minolta and i using the 50mm f1.8. His pictures looked fuzzier and the colors
were less distinct. Same thing happened at the Grand Canyon. And the lens in
my recently-acquired playtoy IS-1 is the same..put simply....simply wonderful
glass!
Susan