RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:54:25 -0800
Hi Acer,
As follows;

-----Original Message-----
From:Acer V
Subject:(long) whippersnapper needs legs

Time to get some advice from the sage (dare I say old? <grins ducks and
runs>).
Snip,
No need to duck or run - that's how one learns!
----------
As my last photo assignment (library) made it all to clear, it's
time to get a good tripod and head.
Snip!
A good lesson I wish I learned - way back then!
----------
For tripod, I'm definitely going to buy used if I can find something good,
or wait a bit longer and get new if there's nothing that suits me. I'm 6ft
tall, and would like to minimize center column extension. Not sure yet,
but likely heading the Bogen way, or Gitzo. Weight is not much of a
concern as long as it's stable.
Snip!
As many have already said, the Bogen is the best value for the $.
Finding a good used Gitzo 320 or 340 will be pretty hard.  Most used ones
are from Professionals who have traded in.  They are usually rode hard and
put away (well, lets just say bent!).
The best source for used pods are from camera stores which cater to the
professionals.  Sometimes, these stores are hard to find.  Look for a store
that "stocks" medium and large format gear and pushes Nikons and Canons.
Sometimes they will have rentals they sell at a used/discounted prices.
As for heads, don't tripods come with at least a standard pan/tilt head or
it is "each sold seperately"?
Snip!
These same Pro stores are a good place to find good used heads.  Many Pros
are/have converted to Arca Swiss and trade in their old Bogen or Gitzo
pan/tilt heads.  They usually sell for $50-$75.

Good Luck, you have made a good decision.
Buddy Walters @ only 47 an old (20+ years)Oly guy!