Re: [OM] St. Louis....

Subject: Re: [OM] St. Louis....
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:34:31 -0500 (CDT)
Wish it was a weekend - I'd come join you.

Several things come to mind. Your hotel is within walking distance of
Busch Stadium, and that's worth a couple of shots. Similarly, the
arch, the old courthouse, and a great downtown park (the name escapes
me) with fountains and a view of the arch are all between your hotel
and the stadium.

But for a real day of burning film, my favorite starting point is
Forest Park. It's a $5 or $10 cab ride from downtown, and is chock
full of things to do and shoot. The zoo is obvious, but the art
museum has several interesting pieces of statuary and a great vista
down a hill to a lake. The Jewel Box is another superb site - if you
want I'll sned you a shot of it in all its IR glory. Fountains,
gardens, a huge turn of the century looking greenhouse, etc.. And the
MUNY (an outdoor theatre in Forest Park) is also worth some shots, as
is the enormous gazebo in the lake nearby. Your hotel probably runs a
shuttle to the park or the museum.

Finally, once you've spent a day shooting in forest park (they also
have golf, soccer fields, boat rentals, and places to eat at the
lake, the museum, and the zoo), you'll probably want to tool over to
the U-City Loop (Delmar - maybe 2 miles from Forest Park). While
you're enjoying the beverage or meal of your choice there (GREAT food
- Ethiopian, Lebanese, Mexican, Thai, Sushi, Pub Grub, etc), you
should stroll up the street to the University City City Hall - an
architectural highlight, as are the other four buildings on that
corner, which include a very German looking former synagogue, and
Inca looking pyramid/temple, and a Greek looking domed hall. That
corner alone is worth an hour or two.

On Wed, 17 May 2000 21:49:16 -0500, Tom Scales wrote:

>Can anyone suggestion any photo opportunities in St. Louis?  I'll be there
>for a short time, Thursday afternoon through Friday afternoon.  I'll be
>staying at the Adam's Mark at 4th and Chestnut, and, unfortunately, won't
>have a car.
>
>I've got my kit packed, but am open to suggestions.  Since I don't know
>what's around, I had to be flexible. I may take some shots at the convention
>too, so I needed flexibility.  I've got a small Lowepro Elite that I'm
>taking with:
>
>OM-4T (new one)
>OM-4T (my user -- normally I'd just take one, but since the other one is
>new....)
>21/2
>40/2 (since I'm taking the 50-250, a 50 seemed like a poor choice. I could
>go 28 or 35, but this is small and light)
>50-250/5 (couldn't decide on this or the 65-200 or even just the smaller
>75-150---may switch to the 75-150)
>T32
>Flash Extender (just got it--thought it might be helpful for redeye...and
>it's kind of neat).
>
>Of course, I could swap out virtually anything if there are any suggestions,
>but I don't have room for much more, so it would probably have to be a swap,
>not an addition.  Oh, I could squeeze a little more in.
>
>I didn't take a motor drive or winder, but don't think that's a problem.  I
>also skipped the BG2, just because of size.  I thought the extender might
>serve the same purpose.  I don't expect lots of flash shots, so the lack of
>C cells isn't a problem.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Tom

-