Re: [OM] Of wunder bricks

Subject: Re: [OM] Of wunder bricks
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:53:29 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Dr Peter Gilbert wrote:

> Mike Veglia Wrote:
>

> >  Intersting comments from wunderbrick users overheard at the
> >tracks are things like "I don't even know how to use 900f the features
> >this camera has but they're cool." I'm serious...this is not an unusual
> >comment...

<SNIP>

> I don't know anyone who uses one of these computerised bricks but I
> suspect that most photogs would (at best!) simply fiddle with some of
> the custom settings and then never adjust them again. They probably
> end up just spending their time trying to figure out how to
> circumvent what the camera wants to do for them......

I tried for a few months to get an F5 (kindly provided as a "pre-buy test
body") to agree with me on what should be in focus in a given picture. The
only good way was to bypass all the "predictve, computerized,
imaga-analyziz-the-camera-guesses-what-the-scene-is-like" programs and
just point, focuslock, frame, shoot (something which suxx when using a
tripod). So much for all the bells - and I could actually focus
faster/better manually with my trusty OM2s/p just on the screen.....

> I can't see how a sports photog could ever get their shots if they
> had to sit down and thumb their way through an instruction manual to
> figure out how to ......... overide the AF-S mode multi-point system
> with SB Matrix metering pattern when in the Aperture priority Mode
> .......   heaven help you if you wanted to use fill-flash as well
> !!!!! Maybe you have to re-boot the darn thing first!!!

Not knowing about the F100, but the F5 never required a reboot while I was
testing it.

--thomas