Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered

Subject: Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:41:47 -0800 (PST)
Eric Goodell wrote:
Hello,

Here's a back-to-the-basics question: When is the best time to use the
1A (ever so slightly rose) filter? Always? Portraits? Never?
Landscapes?

And while I'm thinking of it, what filters (besides polarizer) do you
use more than once a year, and under what circumstances?
Eric,

AFAIK, the 1A filter is intended to counter the bluish cast from the
sky when taking portraits outdoors, in the shade, on a clear day. The
1B, which is deeper coloured, also serves that purpose.

I used to attach a UV or 1A filter, permanently, to every lens for
protection from marks and damage; however, other people's informed
opinions on the subject have made me think again. Now, I have stopped
using filters in general, other than the occasional polarizer (I don't
use b&w film, otherwise the story would probably be different). I
figured I was risking flare and could be compromising image quality by
attaching a filter where none was called for. The quality and material
(glass, gelatin, etc.) of the filter has a lot to do with it, of
course, but some say that even a filter of excellent pedigree, with no
apparent defects, can still detract from the overall quality of the
optics.

(BTW, we should be careful of threads like this one. This is a widely
debated issue on photo lists and opinions can be strong and varied.
Some people actually get quite excited about it - it could even happen
here ;-))

Regards,

=====
Ray