Re: [OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc. and Lasik

Subject: Re: [OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc. and Lasik
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:11:46 +1100
>Last time I read anything about laser eye surgery was that about 500f the
>people getting it were not happy with the results, some ending up with worse
>vision than when they went in AND the new damage could not be corrected.
>Has this changed with lasik?
>
>John  Hermanson

I think the major improvement with Lasik is the use of the covering flap -
this is supposed to keep any surface scarring out of the centre, as well as
make it less unpleasant (no real pain but it brings new meaning to the term
discomfort!)
I heard a lot of horror stories too but found myself surrounded by happy
customers (well, half a dozen), mostly middle-aged women, who were
delighted, including those who'd had the earlier surface treatment.
I think the key is time - I was astonished for a week until the novelty
wore off, very unsatisfied for about two months until I finished the eye
drops and mildly unsatisfied until the six month mark. The surgeon (nor the
promotional material) did not mention that I would not be fully settled and
adjusted for six months. Now I'm quite happy. If the surveys were carried
out less than six months after the op. the results would be a bit negative.
50% worse off - now that's silly! Who's asking them, ambulance chasing lawyers?
Andrew