Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?
From: Dirk and Carla Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 10:00:40 -0500
At 10:37 AM +0000 1/6/01, Giles wrote:

> I recently took some photos of my sons school
>christmas concert.  I mostly used my 180/2 and bounce flashed with a T32.
>However, there were some shots, such as when the children were gathered
>around lit candles, when I thought it better to opt for available light
>and turned the flash off.  I was using Fuji 800 film and those
>available light shots were at 1/60th at f2.  If I had been limited to f2.8
>the shutter speed would have been 1/30 and I think the movement of some of
>the participants would have spoiled the shots.

I'm surpirsed that you were able to handhold that lens steady enough to get
sharp images. The rule of thumb is that you take the reciprocal of the lens
focal length as the minimum shutter speed for handheld shots, making a
180mm lens requiring 1/250th or maybe 1/125th sec. as the minimum shutter
speed. Shooting at 1/60th would be really hard for me. Were you using a
tripod?

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright