Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:40:07 +0800

"John A. Lind" wrote:

> I will second C.H. Ling's observation about manufacturing variation and
> tooling wear.  I know it all too well with what I do professionally in
> electronics manufacturing.

Me too, I have been in electronics manufacturing for 17 years. The
experience may not apply to optical manufacturing, but if my memory
serve, I didn't found any different between the size of front and rear
element of 5xx and 1,1xx. they also weight the same. So I guess they
have the same optical construction.

> camera bodies.  There _will_ be some variation in focusing accuracy (flange
> to film plane distance versus flange to mirror to focus screen distance)
> which _will_ confound lens performance.  What makes Gary Reese's data
> valuable is generally consistent use of the same set of camera bodies in
> his testing . . . which is why I'm glad he has posted which body was used
> for each test.

Yes, it is possible, with over fifteen camera bodies I once own/still
own. I found three have mirror off position, one Nikon FA, one OM2n
and one OM4. They off very slightly, but significant for 50/1.4, 100/2
and 200/4 wide open (also for the Nikon 105/2.5 I have tested).

C.H.Ling