Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101

Subject: Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:24:17 -0600
At 12:02 AM 4/15/2001 +0000, "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to scan an image with a film scanner (scanwit 2720s). I seem
>to have two problems:
>
>a) Colour balance
>b) dust dust dust
>
>I tried using a clean pec-pad to softly dust the frame followed by a light
>blast of dust gun. This seemed to introduce micro-scratches on the plastic
>side (non-emulsion) of the film (print) which show up on the scan - also it
>didn't remove the dust. What is the best way to remove the dust sufficent
>for scanning ?

Use dust gun *only*.  If you've got static, you can also try using a hand
de-ionizer (sold at some electronic supply stores -- looks like a little gun
with a pointed tip and a squeeze trigger).  The interior of your scanner might
also need cleaning, though I know nothing about the Scanwits.

I use canned air when scanning my slides -- works like a charm.

>What is the best way to get correct colour balance for web viewing ?

You *can't* get "correct colour balance for web viewing," because you don't
know anything about the target device your image is going to be displayed on.
The best you can do is calibrate your own monitor to some known standard, and
then adjust colour balance on your image (using a program such as Photoshop or
Paint Shop Pro) to some pleasing point.  Then post it, and hope no-one ever
sends you an e-mail with "Oh my God! that's the ugliest scan I've ever seen."

However, here's a couple of sites that have been helpful to me in the past.
YMMV.

     http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/index.htm

     http://www.scantips.com/

Good luck.