RE: [OM] Re: Digital Musings

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Digital Musings
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 20:57:36 -0400
At 05:19 PM 9/4/01 -0600, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

> Oh? Scan a 4x6 print at 1200 dpi, get a 4800x7200 file.
> Yeah, quality, sharpness, dMax suffers by going thru the extra step.
> But BIG? no problemo.

 Do you actually get any more image by doing that?

Hi Dan,

Everything that I've read says that color prints typically contain no more than 300 DPI of data so it's a waste of time and resources to scan at a higher resolution than that. Give it a try and see if you can tell the difference between a 300, 600 and 1200 DPI scan of a print.

Later,
Johnny