Re: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's
From: hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:33:49 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have had a Quantaray which is the cheapest 500mm Catadioptric
that I know of ($125 new) and it works just fine !

I have looked through the Tamron 300 mm though and some other
list member's photos seem better than most of mine but he uses
better film and technique, too.

Sometimes the old Quantray 500 mm Cat lens just amazes me !
-- Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-- Hank Hogan

olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> There's a comparison in the archives
> athttp://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/archives/1998/msg10671.html

Tom

On Sunday, September 23, 2001 at 10:00, W.Xato
wrote on "Re: [OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's," saying..

> Richard, the Zuiko 500 mm has the best contrast,
> sharpness and lack of fall-off of any of the tested
> 500mm mirror lens. I had bought an no-name 500mm
> mirror (Samsu** or something) and it was truly
> terrible. You could tell it was very soft from 3x5
> photos. I gave it away free to someone on this list. I
> don't have the Zuiko but currently have the Tamron
> which gives passable results. I have also owned
> Russian MTO, Tokina, and Vivitar mirror lens which are
> in the same quality category as the Tamron.
> HTH, Warren
>
> > From: rmaust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's
> > Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:48:32 -0700
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > My first post, I su*bscribe to the digest, so hope
> > this is going to the
> > right place...
> >
> > I've only used Zuiko lenses with my OM's but, given
> > that the longer focal c
> > length Zuiko's are expensive and/or heavy, I've been
> > wondering about
> > off-brand lenses.  The 500mm Zuiko Reflex lens looks
> > great, but I've never
> > come across one and imagine they'd be pretty
> > expensive if I did find one.
> > There are a couple of 500mm which keep coming up on
> > e*ay that are pretty
> > cheap, one of which weighs only 12.7oz and is 3x3.4
> > inches:
> >

> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1277390137
> >
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1277390669
> >
> > Since you pay for what you get, I'm assuming that
> > they're not great lenses,
> > but wondered if anyone had tried them or had any
> > recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Richard
---------------  Abacurial Information Management Consultants
Tom A. Trottier, President ICQ:57647974  http://abacurial.com
        415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
        +1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412  N45.417 W75.705
(after 2001 Oct 14) 758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115  N45.412 W75.714
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin