Re: [OM] Speaking of Holiday Trips....

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Holiday Trips....
From: "Jeffrey R. Keller" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 22:25:16 -0800
A lot of places give discounts for California State Auto Association
members. Always ask if your CAA will get you one.

It's been a long time since I was there, but the Point Reyes lighthouse
used to be open (when there wasn't fog - just north of S.F). The town
of Mendocino is a nice change from suburbs...depending on what you're
used to it may not make much of an impression.

The area around the Golden Gate Bridge can be interesting to see.
The old presidio, Angel island - if you stay in S.F.

Might be wrong time of year but in Santa Cruz there are areas
where Monarch butterflies "hibernate".

Monterey has a nice aquarium - I petted a ray there. The best clam
chowder I've had came from Enterprise Seafood in Monterey. The
seafood I had in Alaska makes most of California's seem pretty
ordinary though. The "seventeen mile drive" is what most people
think of when you mention California Coast.

Carmel is a tourist trap but nice. Some of the houses that were built
years ago by artistic types are pretty unique.

Hearst Castle would be very worth making reservations for. Nice
to see how some of the early Californians "roughed it".

Parts of Santa Barbara have some nice old buildings ... I think there
was a restored mission or presidio.

The wildlife park in San Diego was definitely worth visiting. They
have a few places for tent camping where you might wake up to
lions roaring - I'll have to try that next time (didn't have reservations).
San Diego (Blue Coyote Cafe) has some really great Mexican food.
The El Torito chain in the S.F. Bay area is also pretty good.

Death Valley "on your way" to Los Vegas.

You could spend three months in southern Utah weather permitting.
Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Mesa Verde, etc.

Parts of Colorado are very scenic but probably too much snow.
Of course the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier.

You need a lot more time...
-jeff