Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:37:07 -0800 (PST)
Hmm, I guess you're right. Aside from us few faithful
the OM system has been relegated to the dustbin of
history. Still a lot of people I have talked to behind
the counter at my local camera stores still have nice
warm fuzzy feelings about the OM line. Interestingly
enough as well is the fact that many said they
would'nt have left the OM line if their cameras hadn't
been stolen and they could'nt find a replacement. This
was of course before e*ay was so popular. They think
its nice that Olympus still in theory supports the OM
line as a symbol (theory is a whole world away from
practice though) But I guess you are right that if
someone isn't currently using a camera system it
doesn't really matter what happens to said system.
Still the OM line has a little bit of uniqueness left
to it. The 24 shift is one of them. I have seen 2 of
these lenses now with the Canon EF mount and one with
the Nikon mount, a testament to how much better this
lens is than the offering by Canon. The photogs behind
the counter say that this lens is heads above the
Canon one and lament :) that they have to pay so much
to get the lens remounted with their own lens mount.
The guy who had the Nikon one also has access to a
metal lathe and he told me it took 6 days to get the
mount correctly aligned with an F-mount. A job which
would have cost around 300-500 dollars if he didn't
know metalworking.

Mark Lloyd