Re: [OM] Re: Digital v real photography - slightly OT and long

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital v real photography - slightly OT and long
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:22:21 -0800
On the subject of bashing digital photography...

Try it before you bash it. I just received back my first "family
snapshot" 4x6 prints from photoaccess.com on crystal archive paper taken
with my E-10. (Photoaccess is a rebadged crappy old Seattle Film Works
BTW.) I have not seen larger, yet, on photographic paper (just inkjet at
8x10 which are very bit as good as scans from my old film scanner). But,
these 4x6 prints are *the best* small prints I have ever seen from any
lab, any source (read; even from same pro lab I use for E-6 and custom
enlargements with film taken with my OM-4T and good lenses). This was
with no post processing...download from camera, upload to lab, key in
order, wait for mail was it.

This is not just my impression. I showed them to another die hard film
photographer friend who has also has many years of photographic
experience and he too was blown away. Now, admittedly, the E-10 is not a
typical consumer digi-cam, but they are getting cheaper and many
photographers are making money with them (as I plan to do too).

I will upload a file soon just to try one of their $4.95 11x14s (yes,
you read that right...5 bucks for an 11x14 on Fuji crystal archive
paper) and let you all know how it looks.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a die hard film fan and shoot more frames
film than digital...but I am evolving and becoming a believer. My IS-2
will likely gather dust from now one, it has never produced results on
4x6 paper as good as the E-10 for me. I am anxiously awaiting the so
called "Olydak" announcements to see what it really will be.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com