Re: [OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Lenses for Travel - My Experiences
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:02:55 +0100
On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:39:46PM -0700, Matt Crawley wrote:

> I just returned from a month in Europe where I visited Paris and Prague,
> (among others). I shoot photos with Canon FD and Olympus OM  gear but for
> this trip I took only the Canon gear because I have a better selection of
> Canon lenses. My kit consisted of a 24mm/f2.8, 28mm/f2.8, 50mm/f1.4,
> 85mm/f1.2, 135mm/f2 and a 2x converter.
>
> My OVERWHELMING thought after returning is that I won't do a similar trip
> again without a zoom lens. It is just too much of a pain to carry all those
> lenses and an even greater pain to change them when shooting. I got some
> great photos but there where MANY times that I wished for the flexibility of
> a zoom.

Hi Matt,

here just my thoughts about:

You were carrying 5 lenses+ converter, total a range from 24-270mm with 7-8
focal-lenghts to change..... your selected lenses are pretty close together.
It seems you`ve tryed to cover the whole range without gap. to have always the
suitable focal lenght.
I know it can be pretty narrow in european cities, and there is often something
ugly next to your subject. In this situation a zoom is IMHO a better choice too.
Altough I prefer shooting with primes I like my 35-105 for this reason.

To enjoy using primes I´d sugges a kit where you accept gaps in the lineup,
and select lenses for definete different jobs. Extreme example: 21-85-300.
Don`t hunt for the perfect fraiming with a kit like that. Zooms can do this
better.
This way you`ve three definite different angels of view. Your eye will learn to
see the subjects the appropriate way. And when you decide to use a wide
view, it is really a wide view, and a tele is really a tele. A worthy gain for
the
compromise in the fraiming, because the angel of view is not perfect.

When you`ve primes which are close together you`re always tempted to try
another, to see which suits better. A lot of work to change lenses. Therefore a
slide frame or a 2x3"-mask can be a nice help for visualisation, to figure out
the best view, without the need to raise the camera all the time.

Another aspect: The classic zoom set: 28-80 &  70-200 requires almost as much
lens change than a compareable prime set. What are you doing in the field:
You take a overview and the collect the details -> you need to swap.

Everything just personal preference...

Frieder Faig

P.S.: For me, on my last vacation trip, I found 35 + 24 mm too close togther.
On the other
hand the 4/28-48 Zuiko would be a nice option too.