RE: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?

Subject: RE: [OM] XA with 'sticky magnet'?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:07:44 -0600
> Well, I suppose it would depend on condition more than anything.  If the
XA-3
> is trashed out (badly worn, "Ugly", etc.), and there was a part from it
that
> would fix an otherwise "Very Good" or better XA I would consider doing it.
But
> I wouldn't take parts from one good, working item just to gain features by
> repairing another -- it doesn't make sense, labor wise. Of course, that's
from
> the perspective of a technician who does this for a living!

 Ah, right, that makes sense -- though from my point of view, the XA-3 came
almost 'free' with the XA, and I don't see myself using it that often, so
I'm not as attached to it as I might be.

 That said, I bit the bullet and took the bottom off the XA last night; once
I'd worked out there's an extra screw under the self-timer lever, no
problem. And then I saw the insides, and put the bottom back on again before
I did anything I'd regret.. Looking at what's going on, I can see two coils
which are presumably the electromagnets (circled in the picture at
http://www.danielmitchell.net/xa.jpg , 29k) -- is it the blue one or the
black one that I want to be cleaning, and which bit actually needs cleaning?
Which spring is the one described here:

>be very
>careful, however, that you don't dislodge the tiny little spring at the
back of
>the armature.

 Sorry to be so obtuse, but I know myself well enough to want to be very
sure I'm doing the right thing before I go poking around armed only with a
vague idea of what's going on..

 thanks,

 -- dan