Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?

Subject: Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:53:56 -0800
My own trip (which is far from getting anywhere yet, just to be clear) started with a small-town weekly newspaper (now defunct) called The Plant City Observer. My mom was friends with the woman who owned it and she'd throw me jobs shooting a few photos here and there for her. I'd go down and she'd load me up some HP5 from her bulk-loader and off I'd go to some civic, sporting or local arts event. I was about 14 and I thought it was the coolest gig ever. By 16 I was occasionally also shooting for her competitor, The Plant City Courier. By 18 I started to finally realize that I'd spent almost half a decade taking the same damn photo over and over. The photo-op portrait. Stacks of 'em. I'd started out emulating what others at the job had been doing and never for a minute questioned the nature of the job. Breaking away sorts out the artists from the grunts, IMO. I never really got to be much more than a grunt. I'm still grunting a lot, but I'm always trying to break away.

-Rob