Re: [OM] ( OM ) Possible TOPE topic

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Possible TOPE topic
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:18:08 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 04 February, 2003 08:48 PM

> > A good topic could be "Living among the cold" or "Coping with daily
> > (extreme) cold" or some such.
> >
> > Of course "cold" is relative, and cold in Hong Kong would be different
> cold
> > in Edmonton or New Brunswick.
> >
> > Here we seldom get things below 10 degrees C (and certainly not since
the
> > mid 1980s) so I find it difficult to comprehend how people cope with
such
> > cold in their daily life, and what they do as a matter of course to make
> sure
> > they continue to survive. How do poor people cope in these conditions?.
> I've
> > heard of it being necessary to plug cars into sump heaters so that they
> will
> > start again. What else is needed? What do you do when you travel? How do
> > you ensure you survive if there's some mishap on the way? Do you avoid
> > travel in extreme cold?
> >
> > Brian
>
> In Moncton, NB, which is about 2 1/2 hours from here, many (about 30,000)
> are going into their third night without electricity tonight. I don't
think
> we've heard from John Hudson lately, so he might be one of them.
> We are back into freezing rain again tonight, making it very difficult for
> the power line workers to cut the icy tree limbs off the lines. By morning
> there will likely be thousands more out of power. Many who have lost heat
> and water have moved out of their homes into shelters.
> My coping strategy tonight- put some more wood in the woodstove in the
> basement, draw off some extra water, and load up the camera for some
> possible nice ice pictures in the morning. Meanwhile, check out ebay
before
> the power goes off.

yep it was cold, snowy, and winter........... we were out of power for about
60 hours. Hauled lots of wood for the wood stove, invested in a gallon or
two of kerosene and more candles for lighting, fretted about having a diesel
car that hates getting cold over night in, got creative about cooking up a
hearty roast beef supper and all the trimmings, minus only the Yorkshire
pudding, on Sunday evening, built up a large load of laundry, filled the
bath tub with water in case the water supply got cut off, ...!

jh