Re: [OM] An intro and re: train hazards

Subject: Re: [OM] An intro and re: train hazards
From: "Gary M. Teller" <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:54:07 -0400
Matthew,

Welcome...now repeat after me: My name is Matthew...oh, what's the use? You've got Zuikoholism so you might as well accept it and not try to overcome it. As as been said oft times, this list is a great bunch of enablers when they're not imparting a vast store of knowledge of all manner of subjects.

Another thing with railroad and other property being more and more off limits is the fact that we've become much more litigious (did I spell it correctly, Walt?). Rather than risk a photographer suing over alleged or actual harm/damages, it's simpler and easier to ban them from the property. Add to that the heightened threat of terrorism and you've got to be more creative in accessing choice locations. A few years back the employees at a small switching yard near me allowed me to board and explore a few their diesels. Actually it was more like a guided tour...nothing was off limits. I doubt that'd happen today. On the other hand I've always subscribed to the idea that if you act like you belong to be where you're at, you can get away with what you're there for. That plus keeping a low profile-not hiding-and friendly chat ups with employees, attendants, etc. can still get you into a lot of places.

If you or your dad's train photos are anywhere on the web send us a link...I've always been a train fan and would love to see them.

Gary