Re: [OM] Put the blame where it is..

Subject: Re: [OM] Put the blame where it is..
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:09:56 -0700
OM was (and still is, for me) a great system with some real advantages over the others of similar times. But to suggest that the other major players only made junk is silly.

I have a couple of Nik*ns inherited from my father. The FG is a very nice body, compact (Oly size), well made and easy to use. The FM2a is in some ways a marvel. It is indeed huge and heavy compared ot Olys, but the quality of design, materials, construction, fit & finish is really impressive. The mechanism for DOF preview, aperture stop down and mirror lock-up is a thing of beauty and shows they were ahead of Oly in understanding and controlling vibration at the time of the OM-1 and 2 (I'll bet all that weight helps too!). And titanium shutter curtains, 1/2000 top speed, self timer calibrated in seconds and have you seen that back latch?. That back isn't opening by accident from a fall or something catching on the rewind crank. I dropped my old, pre OM-1, Ftn about 5 feet onto the concrete floor of Hoover Dam. Result? One out of focus shot of the ceiling and a small dent in the bottom. Effect on operation, zero.

All that said, When I met the OM-1 shortly after it came out, I bought one and got rid of the Ftn. It was a better solution for me, but the Nik*n and other first line makers still made first rate cameras. Oh yeah, the 50/1.8 Zuiko that came with the OM-1 was not as good as the lens I had on the Ftn. But, fortunately, the Zuiko 35-70/3.6 I soon bought was much better than the then current Nikk*r 43-86mm, likely better than any of them, and better than the 50/1.8 Zuiko.

Moose

Wim Verheyen wrote:

I know several people in our photo club with 20-year plus Nikons.
(In fact I'm the only one using Olympus gear).
But then, these are F-single digit bodies, all-metal, built like a tank.