Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles

Subject: Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:33:48 +0100
And apart from fog, how would you like to describe "some intermediate shade
of grey", containing, as we have shown, no photographic detail of itself,
but underlying the details which are resolved?
I'm open to other terminology here:-)

Julian

> > >  from:    Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > >  date:    Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:55:40
> > >  to:      olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Yes, it all does.  Or, more precisely, the same fraction hits the grains
as always.  If the spatial frequency is too high (the bars of light and dark
are too narrow and too closely spaced), the spatial modulation (those bars)
simply averages out to some intermediate shade of gray.  Nothing is lost,
nothing is gained.  It's just smeared out.  The human eye does exactly the
same thing, for exactly the same reason.  If we look at a fine pattern on
some cloth, from a distance we see the average color, but up close we can
see the pattern.