Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......

Subject: Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:21:19 +1100
After a couple of bad ones up here the state government promoted a bushfire safe house design. It looked like a concrete bunker in a bare paddock. Needless to say, most people just went back and built nice little wooden houses. Doesn't matter what you do, the house won't survive a big, crowning fire except by odd chance if you're in the trees. Stoicism helps.
Good to hear you were lucky that way Scott.
AndrewF

That kind of thing happened in the Oakland hills fire in '91 too. We had friends who were in a little cluster of undamaged homes and there were several examples like that. When I was looking for a new roof shortly thereafter, one salesman's favorite selling tool was a close-up aerial view of a single undamaged house in the midst of complete devastation, hardly a charred stick left standing anywhere around it. I ended up buy that kind, mostly for structural reasons, but that picture sure didn't hurt.

Moose

Timpe, Jim wrote:

I saw an aerial image of one neighborhood where everything was ashes except
for one lone home... It looked completely intact.  Scary.